What is a Water Flosser used for?
We are increasingly aware of the importance of the hygiene of our teeth, looking for alternatives to improve the cleaning routine.
Toothbrushes, rinse, dental floss… Although it may seem like it, all this is not enough. Is there any article or product that guarantees a perfect cleaning of your mouth? There is: dental irrigators.
What is a Water Flosser ?
You've seen them on many occasions in the dentist's office: It's that little device they use to release a stream of water into your mouth.
In other words, it is a small device connected to a water tank that, through a nozzle (or head), expels a powerful jet under pressure. There are hundreds of models on the market for home use.
What is a Water Flosser used for ?
They are used to improve the cleaning of the teeth and gums, all thanks to its powerful jet of water under pressure that helps to:
- Eliminate bacteria.
- Reduce plaque and tartar on teeth.
- Eliminate any remaining food.
- Make stains disappear.
- That the teeth recover their natural color.
- Clean in the space between the teeth or on the crown.
- Guarantee a complete cleaning of the dental apparatus.
What are the types of dental irrigators?
We could say that there are three types of models:
tabletop dental irrigator
They are connected to the current, with a tank to which the irrigator is connected through a small tube.
They are the most powerful, being able to regulate the water pressure with up to 10 pressure levels. Depending on the model, the jet can be regulated with different configurations that are stored in the memory.
portable dental irrigator
They are also known as cordless irrigators. They work with a battery or rechargeable battery. They have a built-in water tank, much smaller than the desktop models.
Depending on the model, some have a "MODE" configuration and others are regulated by pressure levels, like the previous model.
Tap flosser without motor
It is less and less common to find this type of irrigator, but there are still some models on the market.
Lacking a tank, it must be connected to the tap through a tube to work. Its biggest drawback is that it is easy to accumulate germs and bacteria.
Benefits of cleaning teeth with a dental irrigator
Starting to use an oral irrigator has both benefits and advantages. How about we see them one by one?
- Helps reduce the level of bacterial plaque on the teeth, which prevents the appearance of cavities or the accumulation of tartar. According to studies, they remove up to 99.9% of plaque.
- They have modes that gently massage the gums, reducing inflammation and bleeding.
- By combining it with other mouth solutions, such as rinsing, you will notice an incredible feeling of cleanliness.
- Eliminates bad breath, since thanks to its powerful jets it eliminates any rest of food or bacteria that is in your mouth.
- Whitens teeth, removing stains on tooth surfaces.
- For those who use an appliance, or have implants and crowns, it offers a more complete and comfortable cleaning.
- Improves cleaning between the gum space with the tooth, which is known as a periodontal pocket, in which bacteria accumulate.
- They are very easy and to use, having models so simple that even the smallest of the house can use them.
- There are models that adapt to the specific needs of each user.
- They have heads for each type of cleaning, from removing plaque to cleaning orthodontics.
- They have no contraindications, regardless of the age of the user.
- Prevents various types of diseases, such as periodontitis or bleeding gums.
Advantages of Water Flosser
Apart from all the benefits that we have mentioned in the previous point, starting to use an irrigator in your dental hygiene routine has all these advantages:
- Some models are designed as a dental care station, including the irrigator with an electric toothbrush.
- There are multiple models on the market, which will perfectly adapt to the needs of the family, as well as the size of the bathroom.
- Some irrigators include nozzles for each member of the family. So it will be impossible for you to get confused.
- The mini irrigators can be taken anywhere, stored in the bag. So you can carry out your hygiene routine anywhere!
- The different modes that they include allow you to customize the power of the jet, to adapt it to the type of cleaning you want to do.
- Its price is not very high, adapting to any type of budget.
- You can combine water with mouthwash, to eliminate bacteria.
How does an oral hygiene irrigator work?
The models that are currently on the market have a fairly simple operation, since they are designed so that they can be used by any member of the family.
To use it you must follow these steps:
- Fill the tank with water. It is always advisable to use warm water.
- Place the nozzle you are going to use on the head. Normally, you should press down a little until you hear a "click".
- Select the pressure level, or MODE, you want to use.
- Place the mouthpiece in your mouth and press the power button to start it up.
- For proper cleaning, experts recommend that you follow the line drawn by the gums under your teeth.
- When finished, it is recommended to empty the tank, to avoid the accumulation of germs or the appearance of mold.
- Regarding cleaning, the water tank should be cleaned after each use, while the irrigator is recommended once a week.
How to choose the best Water Flosser? Everything you should keep in mind!
When buying a product, most focus only on the price. Although it is true that there are very cheap models that offer you multiple functions and accessories, this does not mean that they meet your specific needs.
On the market there are two types of irrigators; desktop and portable (or wireless). Depending on the use you are going to give it, you will be interested in one model or another.
For example, if you travel a lot, or have trouble bending over, a portable model will be better for you. On the other hand, if you need it to be powerful, and you have a large sink, the desktop one will be a better option.
How much space do you have in your bathroom? Some irrigators are huge, and will leave you with no space to put other things on the sink.
There are tabletop models that are taller than they are wide, but cordless irrigators take up little space. What's more, you can keep them in their box after using them.
It is important that the tank has enough capacity, to guarantee that you will have enough water to clean your teeth in one go.
Of course, you should keep in mind that the durability of the water will depend on the power you use. To give you an idea, at half power, a 300 ml tank. empties in approximately 90 seconds.
If you are going to buy a desktop dental irrigator, make sure it includes some pastes. The reason?
These not only provide support to the product, but also improve its grip on the surface of the sink. So no matter how much it gets wet, it won't slip.
Although today almost all irrigators have at least IPX7 water resistance, it is important to make sure.
Think that when you use the irrigator you will splash, or you can get it wet while you wash your face or hands.
Do you want a simple dental irrigator? Or do you prefer that it have different modes of use? This is vital when deciding which irrigator to buy.
You will find very simple models that are regulated with a simple wheel, and will allow you to adjust the water pressure. Others will adjust it automatically by pressing a button and choosing the mode you want to use.
Our advice? Opt for the latter. It would also be interesting if they included a memory system, so that the last mode you used is recorded. So you won't have to configure it every time you turn it on.
Something very important to look at: How many nozzles and what types do they include?
People who do not have serious problems will be satisfied with the classic nozzles, that is, they only release a stream of water.
But if you have a lot of plaque or tartar, have had orthodontics done or wear braces, you will have to make sure that those nozzles are included with the irrigator you buy. There are even models that include a mouthpiece for the tongue or nose.
When choosing any product that you are going to use daily, it is important to assess how practical and comfortable it can be to use.
For example: You are a person who travels a lot, because in that case you will be more interested in a travel irrigator. Do you usually eat away from home? Opt for a mini irrigator that you can take with you anywhere.
Another important detail is how easy it is to clean. Think that if the tank is not cleaned frequently, germs and bacteria will end up forming inside, which will reduce the effectiveness of the irrigator.
Take a good look is whether the deposit can be removed. Otherwise, it is not very cumbersome to clean.
As we have said, you should not only look at the price when deciding which irrigator to buy.
Rather, compare the price with everything it offers you. The model that meets your needs may be more expensive, but if it includes several nozzles, many modes of use, and you have the opportunity to easily purchase accessories and spare parts, won't it be more worth it than a cheaper model that you will soon have to buy? replace?
Actually, the latter is not so important. Although it is true that there are those who feel more secure buying a product that has the seal of a prestigious brand such as Oral-B, Waterpik or TUREWELL.
You will have the guarantee that it is a high-quality product, although, unfortunately, they usually include very few types of mouthpieces.
In this section you will find the most frequently asked questions by users about how an irrigator is used and what it is for:
How many times can the irrigator be used?
You can use it after each brushing, for a maximum of 5 minutes each time. In order not to damage the teeth, it is advisable to allow at least two hours to pass before using it again.
What to use first brush or irrigator?
Depends on the situation. If you have food debris that has gotten stuck between your teeth, it is advisable to use an irrigator first and then a brush.
On the other hand, if after using the brush some remains have remained, the irrigator can help to detach it, or reduce its "grip" so that it can be easily removed with dental floss.
Which is better: interdental brush or irrigator?
Using an irrigator, combined with a brush, is much more effective than using just an interdental brush, especially as it helps prevent gum bleeding.
Which is better: an oral irrigator or dental floss?
Recent studies show that an irrigator is 51% more effective in reducing gingivitis and gum bleeding than dental floss. In addition, it helps in the elimination of bacterial plaque.
How many times can the dental irrigator be used per day?
According to experts, they recommend using it a maximum of twice a day.
How often to use a dental irrigator?
It is advisable to use it at night, after brushing.
How long does the battery of an oral irrigator last?
Between 20-30 days, depending on the model and the power used during cleaning.
Is a desktop or portable irrigator better?
It depends on your specific needs. A tabletop irrigator, although more powerful, takes up a lot of space and can be more cumbersome.
On the other hand, a portable model is more comfortable to use, and can be taken on a trip.
Are there small irrigators to use when I go on a trip?
There are some models known as mini irrigators. They are small and compact, to keep in your pocket or bag. These are designed for those who usually eat out and cannot wait to return to clean their mouths.
Deja un comentario